Monday, April 6, 2009

The Mootz

Steve and I made countless trips to Tony's, Luca Brassi's and Fiori's for fresh "Mootz" when we lived in Hoboken, NJ. Really good, made-fresh-every-day mozzarella was available in delis and markets all over Hoboken. We were spoiled by this (among other culinary delights like AMAZING bakeries) to say the least. After we moved away, I always wanted to try making "Mootz" at home, but assumed it was complicated to do and never really looked into it. A few weeks ago, the cheesemaking bug got ahold of me and started invertigating my options. I was thrilled to find The New England Cheesemaking Supply Company online (www.cheesemaking.com). Upon discovery of their Mozzarella & Ricotta Kit, I placed and order and began anxiously awaiting the package in the mail like a child awaiting Santa Claus.

The package arrived and I was fast out the door to the market for a gallon of whole milk. Within the next 2 hours, we were enjoying our very own fresh "Mootz." . I could hardly believe the results — It was tender and buttery and delicious! The process was really very simple and I'm sure will be even quicker when I try it again. Hmmm... maybe this weekend!

1 comment:

Erin said...

You are so adventurous! I love it! How fun!