Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Summer Grilled Chicken Salad

I alway think of my dear friend Julie when I make my favorite summer salad. Julie is fellow foodie who I met in soon after moving to Hoboken and quickly became friends. I remember so vividly stopping by Julie's apartment in Jersey City one summer evening to visit and have a bite of dinner. The salad she made for me would be my inspiration for a salad I make all the time, especially in summer months. It is a quick, easy and healthy summer dinner that is a delight to prepare and to eat.

I start by pounding out a chicken breast, and marinating it in a simple mixture of lime juice, olive oil, a spoonful of Dijon mustard, Herbs de Provence, salt and pepper. Let that marinate at least 15–20 minutes. In the mean time, fire up the grill, prepare a bed of salad greens (I like the herb salad spring mix), and toast up a handful of walnuts in a dry pan, flipping often and watching carefully.

Once the chicken is on the grill, dress the greens with a squeeze of lemon and a drizzle of good olive oil. Crumble some goat cheese over the greens. When the chicken is done and has rested, slice it in strips and place it on the salad, topping it with sliced fresh strawberries and the toasted walnuts. Serve with a nice chardonnay or sauvignon blanc for a perfect meal.

Bon Appetit!!

No comments: